Yes, I know (if anyone actually reads this), I have not been around. I am not exactly the most prolific blogger. I have this tendency to forget to actually post. Its not likely going to change anytime soon. I would think ScribeFire (which I am using to post this) might help, however it has not. I guess I had better get off my lazy ass and actually get some content up. I do have lots of ideas, its just a matter of actually posting them.
Today, GameSpy, Curse and WorldofWar.net dropped a couple trucks (lorries to you Brits) worth of information regarding the next expansion, Wrath of the Lich King. They along other WoW fan sites got to pay a visit to Blizzard HQ. Needless to say there are some nice things coming. The following is a sample of what was revealed:
- Starts at L55 inside a floating Necropolis (similar to Naxx) somewhere over EPL. I would think the Necropolis in question will the one that replaces Naxx when Naxx is moved to Northrend.
- No word on whether or not Horde and Alliance DKs will start in the same area. If they do start in the same area, things could be interesting on a PvP server.
- Players need to have a character at or above L55 to roll a DK
- DKs will NOT replace any existing character
- You will not need to “unlock” the ability to roll a DK.
- DKs will start with their own 60% speed mount (Death Charger) which will be upgraded via a quest line, similar to the Warlock and Paladin mounts
- All races can be DKs, this means we will see NE, Gnome, Tauren DKs among others.
- DKs will be Tank/DPS hybrids using 2h or Duel Wiedling.
- DKs will use a Rune system, Blood, Frost and Unholy. Runes will be expended when abilities are used and will regen (like a Rogue’s Energy). DKs will also have a secondary bar called Runic Power which will build up as you expend Runes and decay over time (similar to a Warrior’s Rage). RP is used for several spells and abilities that will expend all of the DKs available RP. The more RP you have the more pain that spell will dish out.
- DKs will come with a complete set of spells and ablities. One of these will allow a DK to raise a corpse as a Ghoul. This includes a Player’s corpse. If a DK raises a teamate’s corpse as a Ghoul, the player whose corpse was raised can control the resulting Ghoul. This presents some interesting challenges in Arenas. Ghouls will have a set of spells including Slowing and Disease effects
- You get one DK per realm. You must have a L55 or higher character on that realm.
- DKs will start with a mix of Green and Blue quality items. Their first few quests will gain them better quality gear that will be exclusive to the DK class.
Vehicle combat and Mounts
- In one video, players are shown be controlling an Gnomish Flying Machine (like the ones in IF by the Battlemasters) and engaging in aerial combat with Gargoyles. GameSpy has mention other vehicle combat scenarios that they were shown and got to play with
- In one instance (according to Curse), you fight a mob called an Interrogator who has captured various drakes from the different Dragon Aspects. Once the drakes are freed, you can fly on them for the remainder of the instance and gain special ablities while mounted.
- The new vehicle combat system could include Siege Weapons, something was discussed at BlizzCon.
- The mounts available to buy in Wrath will probably be able to take passengers. These mounts will also work in the old world (Provided they are land mounts), so players can give low-level characters a ride! The new mounts will also be slightly faster, around the speed of the Armored Netherdrakes
- Flying mounts will be grounded until you get to L77, after that you will need to do quest or visit a trainer (not decide which its going to be) to be able to fly again. Flying mounts will only work in Northrend (and Outland as previous). Due to nature of the old world (numerous graphic shortcuts and such that were never ment to be seen by the players), flying mounts will not likely ever work on Azeroth/Kalimdor
- Apparently Northrend is bigger than Outland and the various zones are much bigger than Outland or old world zones.
- Zones have a larger variety of landscapes, towns (friendly and hostile)
- There are usable items such as Lifts, an aerial tram (like what you see in the Alps), and more.
- There will be transport between the two “starting” zones (Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra), its reported to be a giant turtle which will travel between Tuskaar towns on the coast of each zone.
- All 5 man instances will have a Heroic mode
- Heroics will have a different loot table than normal
- The Badge system will continue, a different token will be used.
- All raid instances will come in two flavors, 10 and 25 instances
- 25 man versions will have better loot (higher Tier) than 10 man.
- 10 and 25 man instances will be on separate timers
- No attunement to raid instances
Some other info
- The Scarlett Crusade is back, now called the Scarlett Onslaught.
- Also making a return are the Worgen along with the Sons of Arugal (the elite Worgen that gank lowbie Hordies questing in Silverpine Forest) .
- Numerous story lines from both WoW and Warcraft 3 are continued. One quest is based on one of the missions from Warcraft 3.
- Players will be able to change their hairstyles as often as they want, the cost of doing so will scale with their level.
- PvE ladders on the official armory are possible in the future
- There will be no event to open the route to Northrend like AQ; the day of the expansion release, players can go straight into Northrend. However, a month or 2 in advance there will possibly be a large patch, similar to pre TBC. Players will get hints of why they will have to go to Northrend in this period, and this patch will possibly feature new talent trees and class changes.
- There will be a lot of new exciting things for all classes on the way to level 80 in terms of talents and abilites, and player will likely find there is a different balance between the classes at level 80.
- It is likely some new spells and abilities for the classes will be shown at the WWI next month
- There may be an instance inside Dalaran, the new central hub city in Northrend.
- Better graphics are a possibility for the future, but it’s not something that Blizz are working on right now.
- Blizzard are planning to bring out cool new items for players to spend all their money on, BEFORE Wrath comes out.
- Lots of UI improvement planned, Blizzard will be integrating some popular addons to the standard UI. These could include Threat meters, this was discussed at BlizzCon.
- There is a possibilty that old instances will be brought back later on in the game, in a similar way that Naxxramas is being revived in Wrath. Naxx will get a 10 and 25 man version.
There is a lot more to read about. Check out both GameSpy and World of War.net for more.
GameSpy’s WoLK coverage: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-wrath-of-the-lich-king/872185p1.html
Videos showing several of the Northrend zones: http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/954/954150/vids_1.html
World of War’s WoLK coverage: http://www.worldofwar.net/n/413356
Curse’s WoLK coverage: http://wow.curse.com/articles/details/9634/
MMO-Champion has further details and an excellent break-down of what was presented at the event. Also the videos that GameSpy are also present ready to be viewed. Those videos are pieces of a longer 9 minute video. A French site, JudgeHype.com has the complete video of which I have embedded below.
MMO-Champion coverage: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=7288.0
The promised video:
I am personally getting excited with the new expansion. It will be adding alot of new elements to an already impressive game. This information is only the tip of the iceberg as beta testing as not been started yet, nor we do not anything about new spells or new talents. Many new factions will be added, Dalaran is getting moved to became the Shattrath of the north. The old location of Dalaran in Alterac will be become a big hole, however Blizzard does have plans for it. We will likely hear more when Blizzard’s World Wide Invitational occurs in June plus get some screenshots of the game. Stay tuned.
Its amazing what you find while living in this mid sized sleepy industrial city nestled in the curves of the River Po. I am by no means, “worldly”, however I have seen some pretty interesting things in my time. Today, while waiting for the bus, I spotted a “Missing” poster attached to the side of a garbage can. It seems someone has misplaced a leopard. Yes, that’s right, a leopard. One 80 kilo, yellow with black spots, big cat. In the middle of Turin, Italy.
Apparently the big cat was last seen scaling (or jumping over, Babelfish is imperfect at translating) a 4 meter tall gate, not very difficult for a cat that hauls lunch up a tree to avoid having to deal with lions and other would be thieves. According to the cat’s blog (yes, an African big cat has its own blog), its normal occupation is that of a movie actor. One of the industries in Turin is movie and TV production. Its not uncommon to see a film crew doing a shoot on Via Roma or in one of the old industrial buildings that dot the Torino area.
If anyone in the area of the Palazzo Giustizia happens to see a large spotted cat (who by the way, goes by the name of Leo), offer it a large steak and let its human know. It apparently has spent its life around humans and is comfortable with us (good thing since he spends time in front of the camera).
Apparently he was spotted on the Metro, as shown in a YouTube video shot from what appears to be a security camera in the Metro. Whether or not this is for real, some kind of “guerrilla marketing” or just one big (fun) hoax has yet be seen. I find it hard to believe that a big cat would wander the streets of a city without much notice. I have yet to see anything regarding this in the local media (La Stampa and the like).
Leo’s blog: http://hopersoleo.wordpress.com (in Italian)
Today I was taking my daily read through WoW Insider when I came across this story. Seems a group of Assassins has formed to “deal with” annoying NPCs that players feel deserve a dirt nap. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. Already Fandral Staghelm, Lady Katrina Prestor (Onyxia in disguise) and Magatha Grimtotem have all been terminated. Now which NPC would I like “removed”?
For those would be Assassins or those would like to take a contract out on someone, here is the the thread on the WoW US forums.
Next up, on the blog Big Red Kitty was this wonderful story about their Running of Da Bull for Sharvan. I had run across this via the Big Bear Butt Blogger, however BRK had more details (since they along with Team Ratshag) organized this event. This was a race of L1 Tauren from the Tauren start area to Hammerfall in the Arathi Highlands. From there, they decide to “raid” Ironforge. Needless to say, much hamburger was produced in IF that day. A group pressed onward to raid that scrouge of Elwynn, Hogger. Even better they used the event to honor one of their guild mates who had recently passed away. Fun event, yet touching.
Now after stealing a line from the intro of an old WoW Radio show called [Epic], its time to begin.
The post’s topic: AddOns for World of Warcraft. Or to be more precise where to find em.
THE BIG THREE (The major release sites)
First of all, the Big Three:
– Curse (direct link to Curse’s WoW Addons section)
These can be considered the “release” sites as when an author feels the AddOn is ready for the masses, he/she unleashes it via one of those sites. Mods downloaded from the Big Three can be usually considered to be stable.
Next up, are the development sites. These sites are where AddOns in development hang out as they mature. Many mods downloaded from these sites work just fine however they could break when you least expect it, contain strange bugs, lack documentation or have other flaws.
– The beta categories of WoWUI (click the beta tab on the WoWUI front page) and WoWInterface
– WoWAce files This a snapshot of the WoWAce SVN “trunk” with all mods packaged as .zip files. Mods can be usually be considered to be beta quality.
– WoWAce SVN (note mods are best downloaded using an SVN client due to the nature of an Subversion repo) The WoWAce SVN “branches”. Mods here can be considered to be early beta, alpha or just plain not working. The “Bleeding Edge” and only rec commended for advanced users.
– Google Code You will have to search. Some projects may have a download page, others you will have click the “Source” button to access their SVN
OTHER ADDON SITES
Now comes lessor known AddOn sites or sites that host specific AddOns or AddOn families.
– Cosmos UI – This site hosts the Cosmos UI compilation (one of the very first WoW AddOns). Some of the mods on this site are Cosmos originals while others are mods that are also hosted elsewhere
– Auctioneer – The official site for Auctioneer, Enchrantix and related mods.
– CTMod – Another of the pioneer addons for WoW. Home for all CT Mod AddOns including CT_RaidAssist
– Gazmik Fizzwidget – Home of the popular Fizzwidget AddOns (such as Hunter’s Helper, Adspace, etc)
– Tekkub – Tekkub’s site houses many small mods plus links to beta versions of those mods. Plus documentation for the popular mod, Tour Guide, can be found here
– Discord Mods – home of the Discord family of AddOns. All of the latest versions (as maintained and updated by Discord users) are located here as well as forums, documentation and custom UIs.
COMMUNITY SITES AND FORUMS
Finally come the site were users can chat about AddOns and other WoW UI topics, plus obtain help for their UIs.
OTHER WAYS TO GET MODS
Another popular way to get mods is via an updater. An updater will download AddOns and help keep them updated. Most modern updaters will auto download any needed dependencies and keep the updated as needed.
- ClickOnce installer (IE, Firefox with the Click Once AddOn), Zip, Forums
- Windows Only, requires the .Net 2.0 Runtime or later.
- The best known of the the updaters.
- Java WebStart To start the program without having to open a browser; right click the link and select “Save as…”. Then save the file (it’s tiny, a few kilobytes) on your desktop or move it into your Start Menu/Dock. Clicking this file will start Netherpanel. Forum and info @ WoWAce, Website
- WoWAce, uploads to WoWRoster and other sites that support UniAdmin/UniUploader. Other AddOn site support is in the works
- Windows, Mac OS X, Linux. Requires Java 5 or 6
- An up and coming Updater. Netherpanel has a different UI than the other Updaters that is actually quite nice, the author is improving Netherpanel with feedback from the community. A Python based plug-in system is in the works.
- Currently Netherpanel has a bit of trouble with mods that are split up for Load on Demand features. Such mods include BigWigs and PitBull. Netherpanel will keep them in one folder rather than splitting them up.
- Zip (from Google Code), Forum @ WoWAce, Website
- WoWAce, WoWInteface, WoWUI, Curse (non WoWAce sites require some user setup)
- Java based; Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
- A small, lightweight updater, can auto update itself so you can be sure of having the latest version.
– WoW UI Updater
- Windows Zip, Mac OS X Disk Image, Source/Linux (needs to be compiled for your distro), Forum, Website
- WoWAce, WoWInterface, Curse, AuctioneerAddon, GathererAddon, CosmosUI, CTMod, CapnBry, GoogleCode (plus SVN) and AceSVN
- Python based, numerous downloads are available.
- Fairly broad based updater. The author is working with the Netherpanel author to develop a Python based plug-in system for Netherpanel
– WoWInterface UI Manager
- Zip (Windows), Zip (“Generic”), more information at WoWInterface (follow one of the two provided links)
- Java based. Windows, Mac OS X, Linux (Mac and Linux should use the generic version), Java 1.5 or later required
- Simple manager for mods hosted on WoWInterface. Easy updating from your WoWInterface “Favorites”. WUM will install any missing “Favorites” (with confirmation). Other mods require a bit more work to set up initially, however once setup, its one touch updating.
- It won’t actually overwrite your mods until you give your blessing. Designed to be fast and secure. It will compare MD5 hashes to help prevent spoofing or fake AddOns. WUM will auto backup your AddOns prior to updating.
– There are numerous command line updaters scripted in Python, Perl and other languages. Check out the Updaters forums on WoWAce
You may want to bookmark this post as I will update in the future as additional AddOn sites come online and old ones die.
Just a quick post today. I read someplace that about 90% (not accurate, don’t quote that number) of all blogs started get abandoned. Seems this one is going that way. To be quite frank, I had forgot about it. At least it’s not like forgetting something in the fridge. However it’s time to clean off the rust and actually do something with this site. Thus the direction of this blog is going toward one of my pastimes: World of Warcraft. Its not going to be totally World of Warcraft, although I can likely find enough things WoW related to yak about. However the main focus will be set in WoW with non WoW content being whatever interests me, which is rather broad. Anyway, enough for now. Oh, and I see the WordPress folks have included a spellcheck feature, time to “test” it.
Update: Uploaded a new header. This post can be considered the end of my old blog (such as it was with five whole posts) and the start of my new revamped blog. Thus the site content starts with the next new post.
Oh boy! It has been a very long time since I have posted. Months. However things have been both busy and chaotic. Finally the heatwave that had settled over nothern Italy has lifted for the moment. It was to friggin hot to do anything but lie in on the stone floor and sweat. However it was not as bad as the one in the US. Maybe there is something to this Global Warming idea. At the very least, Georgie Bush should at least wake and smell the air pollution. However all Bush Inc. cares about is that he and his cronies get rich. At the very least he should turn to Lebanon and crack both Israel’s and Hezabollah’s heads together. Sure those those morons in the Middle East hate each other but why should the people of Lebanon have to caught the middle and die for it? Beruit in the 1980’s was bad enough. Unforunately I doubt the US will do much since Georgie and Co. do not seem to care about anything except money. Note these are my views on that mess.
Continuing on with the chaos that seems to afflict this blog, I have had the “pleasure” of trying to find work in Italy. The biggest problem I have is language. I have been trying to locate an Italian course however what I have found seems to be flakey. The local Scientologist (shudder) had a course but the instuctor spoke no English and her Italian had a heavy French accent which is not good for an English speaker trying to learn the language. Another course I located was more promiseing but when I go the scheduled class at the appointed date/time/place, no one is there! WTF?! And now that August is here I can forget about locating anymore classes since most of Italy (and Europe) shuts down for holiday. The city is beginning to resemble a ghost town with all the shops that are closed for holiday. All well, at least I get continue playing World of Warcraft.